Upcoming Events and Programs
Join NSCI as we celebrate at the historic Stone Temple Baptist Church in Lawndale!
Monday, January 15, 2018, 9:00 am – 1:30 pm
WNSCI is an active group of committed women working together to help enrich our community.
- Welcoming new members
- Offering engaging educational, cultural and social programs
- Supporting NSCI & the Goodman Center for Jewish Learning
- Operating the WNSCI Judaica shop
- Providing food for weekly and festival onegs
- Maintaining Tribute Funds
- Serving on the district and international boards of WRJ
• To uphold and support the synagogue in all its aims, goals and activities, and to be a force for unity within the synagogue and the Jewish community.
• To create warmth and hospitality that will stimulate a broader interest and larger participation in all synagogue activities.
• To build within Jewish women, through an enriched understanding of Judaism, a security in the knowledge of their heritage and inspire them to assume their responsibility in the home, the synagogue and the community.
• To be an integral part of Jewish communal life by being informed, sensitive and responsive to its needs, thereby giving expression to the spirit of Judaism.
About The Women of NSCI
Founded in 1925, Women of North Shore Congregation Israel - aka Sisterhood - is a strong and active organization. We warmly welcome the participation of women of all ages, and appreciate varied time commitments, lifestyles and interests. Our members participate in congregational life in a variety of ways. Spiritual and educational programming includes our Women's Seder, book discussion groups, a Shabbaton, trips to various exhibits and cultural events in the community, and future plans for a Rosh Chodesh group and a "Spa and Spirituality" retreat.
Women of NSCI is an integral part of our congregation - including our religious school, youth activities, and social action endeavors. We are responsible for Oneg Shabbat refreshments and also provide gifts for our B'nai Mitzvah and Confirmation students. A dedicated group of our volunteers provide lunch and entertainment to our North Shore Seniors. We support community efforts such as SHALVA, the Ark, the Council for Jewish Elderly and Olin- Sang-Ruby Union Institute.
Women of NSCI is affiliated regionally with the Women of Reform Judaism (WRJ) and the WRJ Midwest District. Through WRJ we support HUC-JIR (educating our rabbis, cantors and educators), ARZA (Association of Reform Zionists of America), the Jewish Braille Institute, and the World Union of Progressive Judaism (Reform Judaism in Israel and throughout the world).
We currently have two of our WNSCI members serving on these boards - Michelle Scheinkopf is on both the Midwest and WRJ boards and Judy Wexler is on the WRJ board. Both are past presidents of WNSCI.
NSCI's Judaica Gift Shop, located next to the Administrative Office, is run by volunteers from WNSCI. The Shop specializes in beautiful ritual items and gifts for all occasions. We have a wide selection featuring Israeli and American artisans. See the Gift Shop page on this site for more information.